Last night I watched "Inside Job," the Oscar-winning documentary about the 2008 financial crisis and the Great Recession.
Before you dismiss this blog, see the film.
2012: Democrats v. Republicans ?
Or do the sides look something like this?
On the one side:
1. the Financial Industry
2. the Federal Government
3. Multi-national corporations
4. Elite universities
5. Mega Law Firms
6. Multi-national Private Security Firms
On the other:
1. Higher Education below the "elite" level
2. Organized Labor
3. The Blogosphere
4. The Tea Party and Occupy Wall Street
Yes, I list them together. If the federal government and Wall Street form a seamless web (the thesis of "Inside Job"), then the Tea Party's demand for less central government and OWS's demands directed at Wall Street are of a piece... if only the two sides will see that.
5. Lawyers, below the multi-national mega-firms
6. State and Local Government
Yes, where the five categories immediately above still have the resources to amass countervailing power... where it's even possible to launch and sustain viable third-party movements.