Wednesday, June 26, 2013

SEIU v. Fast Food Industry in St. Louis

SEIU
Jim,
If you stand up to a bully, the bully will back down.
 
I stood up to my bosses when I went on strike last month with hundreds of fast food workers in St. Louis. I’m not standing alone. Thousands of workers across the country, our neighbors, our churches and now members of Congress are standing with me.
 
 
Rasheen speaking at Netroots Nation
 
Fast food and retail workers went on strike in seven cities this spring. We all want higher wages and the right to organize without interference. I want more hours so that my paycheck covers more than gas to get back and forth to work and I can finish college.
 
I also want my bosses to know they have to respect me and my coworkers. Before the strike, we were made to hold signs saying we were slow or made mistakes and our manager would photograph us. That sort of humiliation is hard to take, day in and day out.  After our strike, the manager who harassed us was removed. I stood up to a bully and the bully backed down.
 
I used to feel like my problems would never get better and I was all alone. But now I realize so many people have my back. I know we can make a difference.
 
 
This summer, we're going to tell McDonald’s, Burger King, Dollar Tree, Macy’s, Wendy’s and other big corporations that they can’t bully us anymore.
 
In unity,
Rasheen Aldridge
Jimmy John's worker

No comments:

Post a Comment