Please consider attending:
THE CULTURE AND POLITICS OF INCARCERATION SYMPOSIUM--April 6, 2011
University of Central Missouri Warrensburg, Missouri, USA
For more information on the Symposium: www.ucmo.edu/cjinst
This event is free and open to the general public.
There is a special Symposium Luncheon where registration and fee is required. For details follow this link ( http://www.ucmo.edu/cjinst/Symposium/2011/ ).
he overall aim of the Symposium (April 6, 2011) is to investigate the breadth of cultural and policy issues underscoring the massive use of imprisonment as a means to control crime and of governance in the U.S. This investigation will be accomplished by hosting presentations by the following speakers, who will also have articles published in the special Symposium issue of the Journal of the Institute of Justice & International Studies:
· Michelle Brown, Department of Sociology, Ohio University, author of The Culture of Punishment: Prison, Society, and Spectacle(NYU Press, 2009)
· Alessandro DeGiorgi, Justice Studies Department, San José State University, author of Re-Thinking the Political Economy of Punishment. Perspectives on Post-Fordism and Penal Politics (Ashgate, 2006)
· Marie Gottschalk, Department of Political Science, University of Pennsylvania, author of The Prison and the Gallows: The Politics of Mass Incarceration in America (Cambridge, 2006),
· George Lombardi, Director of the Missouri Department of Corrections
· Ray Price, Jr., Chief Justice of the Missouri Supreme Court
Please consider submitting a manuscript to the special Symposium issue of the Journal of the Institute of Justice & International Studies. This Call for Manuscripts for this special issue of the Journal is requesting relevant manuscripts from scholars from any of broad range of pertinent academic disciplines and from around the world. The peer-reviewed Journal is available on EbscoHost, Proquest, Westlaw, and HeinOnLine.
Details for the manuscripts can be found by clicking here ( http://ucmo.edu/cjinst/Specific%20Guidelines%20for%20Authors.pdf ):
Deadline for submission of manuscript is April 1, 2011.
Institute of Justice & International Studies
Criminal Justice Department
University of Central Missouri
Warrensburg, Missouri, 64093 USA