Wednesday, February 19, 2014

My nephew is a nominee for top American teacher

Dear Parents, Guardians, and Supporters of Henry E. Lackey Football,

Good evening.  When I opened my email this afternoon, I was extremely caught off guard (in a very good way) as I learned that many of you had nominated me for an award this past December.  As it turns out, I have been selected as one of the 75 finalists in the country for this award that focuses on excellence on and off the field, but more importantly, teaching life lessons through the avenues of the football field and the classroom.

I am not big on individual awards, and I do not send this email as a way to promote myself or the  accomplishments this committee has based their decision on.  From what I gather, many people nominated me through emails about your experiences with our progam and I honestly do not know who to thank.  More importanly, I have said time and again that this is a community school, and thus, it is a community award, one that we all have a part in.  You either have shaped me as a teacher, coach, or person over the years and continue to do so on a daily basis. 

When I interviewed for a teaching position in 2006, many people in this county told me that I was signing a contract to a school that did not have a future.  It was a school full of kids that did not want to learn, and community that did not value education.  Three years ago, when I was fortunate enough to become the Head Football Coach, I was told that I was taking over a program that had seen its best days in the rearview mirror.

Together, we PROVED THEM WRONG.

I have included the link at the bottom of this email. 

Here's hoping that WE make the last cut of 25.  Henry E. Lackey High School, its students, teachers, and community, deserve every ounce of credit that we never seem to get.

From the bottom of my heart, I am truly thankful.

http://positivecoach.org/our-story/pca-in-the-news/news-detail/341/2014-finalists-for-double-goal-coach-awards%C2%AE-presented-by-maxpreps?utm_source=h5m&utm_medium=e&utm_campaign=mom

John Lush
English Teacher
AVID Elective Teacher
Head Football Coach
Henry E. Lackey High School
jlush@ccboe.com
www.lackeyfootball.com

No comments:

Post a Comment