Sunday, February 9, 2014

Amy got coverage

Barack Obama signing the Patient Protection an...
Barack Obama signing the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act at the White House (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Jim --

When I was a one-year-old, my mom noticed something odd about her new baby girl -- my hands and feet were always cold.

I was diagnosed with a narrow aorta, which meant I would need to work hard to stay healthy for the rest of my life -- exercising regularly, taking care of myself, and having regular check-ups with a cardiologist.

For as far back as I can remember, it's been drilled into me that under no circumstance can I go without health insurance. I work as a consultant but I've been covered through my partner's insurance. So when he left his job last year, and we both lost our coverage through his employer, I decided to try to get a policy in the private market.

I was denied coverage because of my pre-existing condition. Seeing that written down in bold letters was one of the scariest moments of my life.

After months without insurance, I'm covered today thanks to the Affordable Care Act.

Take it from me -- it's worth exploring your coverage options on the health insurance marketplace. Get started right now at HealthCare.gov.

The six months I went without health insurance were scary. For the first time in my life, I felt completely out of control.

Even doing the small things, the stuff that I love like running, made me so anxious. With one misstep I worried I could sprain my ankle or worse -- and I would have to pay so much out-of-pocket to fix it. I worried even more about how long I'd have to go without seeing my cardiologist. 

When my new coverage began on January 1st, I found a new peace of mind, knowing I could return to my cardiologist with an affordable plan. 

I know everyone has their reasons for waiting to get covered. My story is the proof that the Affordable Care Act is doing what it's designed to do: providing affordable access to good care. And I'm so grateful for it.

Today, I hope you'll set aside some time to see what the marketplace offers you. 

Check it out:

http://my.barackobama.com/I-Got-Covered

Thanks,

Amy
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment