Friday, August 17, 2012

Beware of being too clean

Eczema squamosumEczema squamosum (Photo credit: Wikipedia)Every winter since I was maybe 25, I've been plagued with Eczema.  But,before last winter, it never appeared on my hands.  Not only did it nail the backs of both hands last winter, but it lingered into the summer, something that has never happened before.  I tried to figure out what was causing it.  What was I doing differently?

Then,one day last month it hit me: I had begun to use the waterless antibacterial hand cleaners that are ubiquitous these days.  That was what had changed.  I stopped using them, and, voila, no more Eczema on my hands.

Now comes an article that claims that this stuff can adversely affect our muscles as well.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2012/08/14/triclosan-antibacterial-uc-davis-study.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search

Maybe there is such a thing as being too clean.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment