Saturday, June 30, 2012

HR: Claire Castagnera on the Obamacare Decision

Barack Obama signing the Patient Protection an...
Barack Obama signing the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act at the White House (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

THURSDAY, JUNE 28, 2012

Care

I don't know where to begin this post.  Basically, I spent the morning in front of the television with my mom, not-so-eagerly awaiting the Supreme Court's ruling on the Affordable Care Act (i.e. "Obamacare").  I say "not-so-eagerly" because I wasn't optimistic about the outcome.  Upholding the entire act seemed like such a long shot.  Frankly, my mom and I were reduced to shocked (and ecstatic!) tears when the ruling was announced.

I don't have time to write a whole lot about this topic right now (I'm on deadline and have a Corey show to go to soon!), but I just wanted to say a little something.  Because I'm so, so happy.  I think this is a huge step forward for our country, and it gives me more hope for the upcoming election (and more worries, but at least for today I'm only focusing on the hope).  This ruling means that, at least for the foreseeable future, I have health insurance.  It also means that, as a freelancer, if the act goes forward as planned, I might actually be able to afford to buy my own insurance once my parents have to drop me from their plan (when I turn 26; anyone under the age of 26 can stick with their parents' insurance plan). That's pretty special.

Beyond that, though, it means that millions of other Americans, who would normally never get the chance to have health insurance, are now going to get it.  It means that we're working towards a system that will actually help sick people, a system that will reward doctors and insurance companies for prevention and wellness, a system that forces everyone to take responsibility for their health and the health of others.  We are the only industrialized country in the world that lacks a universal healthcare system, and that needs to change because what we're doing now doesn't work.

If you're still unconvinced, I encourage you to look over this list of 10 Things You Get Now That Obamacare Survived.

If you're still unconvinced... I'm worried about you. I mean, I'm aware that this is an adjustment, and healthcare isn't cheap, but we're all going to need it at some point in our lives. That's just a fact. And waiting until you really need it is simply a recipe for disaster - for you (without the ACA, it's nearly impossible to get insurance with a preexisting condition) and the entire country (whose taxpayers are paying for emergency healthcare and uninsured patients). I'm not trying to shame anyone - no judgment here. I realize I'm super lucky to be on my parents' plan (well, because of this act) for now, but I'm fully prepared to buy my own insurance if and when the time comes. Because the system can't work unless everyone participates.

Finally, I know this is a lot to ask, but I hope you'll consider donating to Barack Obama's campaign.  So far Romney has raised drastically more money than Obama by appealing to big, rich corporations and wealthy donors, and so every dollar counts in this race.

Oh, and one more thing. To all those people threatening to move to Canada because you're upset about this decision: you do realize Canada has universal healthcare, right? Oh, right. You probably don't.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know what I'm going to do when I turn 26 next year, but I'm definitely grateful that I can stay on my med until then.
    Reply
  2. I really like this post! I couldn't have said any of what you said here better myself. Reading this was a great way to start my day!
    Reply
  3. I didn't really follow what's going on, but I'm grateful none-the-less.

    Health is the scariest thing in the world for me... like this sleeper bomb that's going to get me at any time and I'd rather just not think about it. At this moment I'm not on my parent's insurance (for reasons I can't believe or understand) and I haven't been to a doctor at LEAST since I moved here (probably 3 years) and before that I only went in for cold prescription. I've been healthy for so long, but I could get screwed in one foul swoop. In fact, I feel like I absolutely WILL get screwed and it's only a matter of time.

    So yes, if I can afford it in any way, I'll be participating.
    Reply



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment