Monday, July 22, 2013

Is this just another scam or phishing expedition?

This morning I received the following email:


Good morning!

We wanted you to know that you received Honorable Mention in yesterday's article titled "Who's Who in Local Communities" by Stephen Bozanek, recognizing individuals and businesses who have recently contributed to improving their local communities.
The article will remain available at www.newsdigest.co/news/communities/ for the next few hours and is available for on-demand download and printing.

We wish you the best of continued success.

Sincerely,
Lisa Davis
News Digest International
http://www.newsdigest.co

I clicked the link and indeed there is a website, replete with news stories, as well as ads for awards and trophies and such.  But I couldn't find the article mentioned in the email.

I then Googled the article's title and author.  The result?  I found I was not alone in receiving this sort of email or in being baffled by it.  Apparently someone from the Better Business Bureau received a similar epistle and was a little better than I at tracking down its origin:

http://bbbconsumereducation.com/whos-who-in-local-communities-really/





Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment